For those of you undergoing the admission process, admission essays are no news. Be it college or boarding school admissions, essays do constitute a pretty important requirement in both processes, as annoying as it may be. Essays are used by the admissions committee to get to know the applicant in a more personal and direct way, by checking his/her linguistic capacities and skills in written English at the very same time.
So, how do we write a good essay? There’s no magic trick applicable to every case, as admission essays are very different in terms of topic and extension. Nevertheless, we want to help you and share, based on our experience, some tips and pieces of advice that may help you to elaborate a good admission essay:
- Start from a brainstorming. As silly as it may seem, this may help you a lot. Starting from the topic required or chosen, you can divide your ideas and reasons into little groups similar in concept so as to organize what you want to say in a coherent way.
- If you are able to choose your topic, choose one that makes you shine. A hobby, a talent, something you are passionate about or that you are very good at. This will make the difference and will help you to write easily.
- Show, don’t tell. Don’t be afraid to include as much detail as possible. This will make everything more visual to your reader and it would be easier for him/her to get deep into the dimension you are trying to create in your essay.
- Use your own voice. Don’t try to copy ideas or clichés to sound fancy or because you think it is going to look better that way. Sharing your own thinking and beliefs would be easier that pretending other ones which may appeal more interesting (and indeed they’re not).
- Make sure anyone rather than you proofreads the final version of your essay. Sometimes we stress over our essays and we read them again and again and we are unable to realize the mistakes we are making. Before submission, share your essay with some friend, peer, parent or even teacher, that would help a big deal.
In the end, it’s all about to feel happy and sure with what you have written and shared with the admissions committee, but keep all this in mind and we can assure you that the result is going to be great!